Certified Manufacturing Technologist (CMfgT) Certification
Show that you have the knowledge to make a difference in manufacturing! Earning your Certified Manufacturing Technologist (CMfgT) requires an investment of time and energy that will reap dividends throughout your career.
The CMfgT is an entry-level certification that benefits both new manufacturing engineers and experienced manufacturing engineers without other credentials. Pursuing a CMfgT certification requires a minimum of four years combined manufacturing-related education and/or work experience.
- Mathematics, Applied and Engineering Science, and Materials
- Product/Process Design and Development
- Manufacturing Process Applications and Operation
- Production System and Equipment Design and Development
- Automated Systems and Control
- Quality and Continuous Improvement
- Manufacturing Management
- Personal Effectiveness
Assess and Prepare
Start your preparation by reviewing the Body of Knowledge (PDF), Competency Model (PDF), and recommended reading materials. Visit sme.org/prepare and read the Exam Preparation Tips for additional information and resources.
These programs can help you assess and evaluate your knowledge before you take the exam:
- CMfgT Self-Assessment: This online self-assessment evaluates your manufacturing knowledge and prepares you for the exam.
- CMfgT Online Review Program: This online review program is comprised of 62 classes mapped to the Body of Knowledge (PDF).
- Classroom Review Program: This collaborative, instructor-led review program helps solidify your understanding of the Body of Knowledge (PDF) and key manufacturing concepts. It is an invaluable opportunity to prepare you for the exam and provide you with a foundation for completing the program.
The CMfgT exam is offered in online and paper/pencil formats. You have one year in which to take the exam from the date of purchase.
Click here to apply
Schedule and Take
The CMfgT exam is a three hour, open book and open notes exam. It consists of 130 multiple-choice questions mapped to the Body of Knowledge (PDF). You must submit your Proctor Form and Agreement (PDF) to SME at least two weeks before your scheduled exam date.
Interpret Your Results
To pass the exam, you need to score 60% or higher. After your exam is scored, you will receive official results by mail, which includes an Examination Analysis Report (PDF) that provides a breakdown of your results by knowledge area. Use this analysis to make decisions about your future professional development.
If you passed your exam, congratulations, you are now certified as a CMfgT! Your certification is valid for three years. During this three-year period you must document a minimum of 36 recertification credits to recertify. You may also want to consider pursuing your Certified Manufacturing Engineer (CMfgE) certification. For more information on the recertification process visit sme.org/recertification.
If you did not pass the exam, you can apply to retake the exam 30 days after you receive your exam results. Use the Examination Analysis Report (PDF) to focus on weaker knowledge areas to help prepare you for retaking the exam. A reduced exam fee is offered for retaking the exam.
If you have question or need additional information email us, complete an online inquiry form, or call SME Customer Care at 800.733.4763 or 313.425.3000.