The seven SME International Honor Awards recognize significant contributions to the field of manufacturing engineering in the areas of manufacturing technologies, processes, technical writing, education, research, management and service to SME.
Recipients of the SME International Honor Awards are honored each year at an awards ceremony, which is held in conjunction with the SME Annual Meeting.
Awarded for distinguished accomplishments in improving capability within the broad concept of orderly production.
Awarded to an SME member for significant and unique contributions that benefit SME. This award is the only International Honor Award that must only be conferred upon SME members. (Named after SME's first president, Joseph Siegel.)
Recognizes exceptional success in the integration of the infrastructure and processes of manufacturing through innovative use of human, technical and financial resources.
Honors significant published research leading to a better understanding of materials, facilities, principles, operations and their application to improve manufacturing processes.
Recognizes significant accomplishments in the field of manufacturing processes, methods or systems.
Honors the educator most respected for the development of manufacturing-related curricula, fostering sound training methods or inspiring students to enter the profession of manufacturing.
Recognizes outstanding service to the manufacturing engineering profession in technical communications through published literature, technical writings or lectures.
- Nominations can be submitted for both U.S. and international citizens.
- SME membership is the only requirement for the Joseph A. Siegel Service Award.
- Nominees must have made significant contributions to the field of manufacturing.
To submit an International Honor Award nomination:
- Download the nomination form (MS Word).
- Verify that the nominee meets all of the outlined eligibility requirements.
- Include three (3) letters of recommendation, preferably on letterhead; one letter should be submitted by the nominator, which briefly highlights the accomplishments of the nominee. Note: Self-nominations and/or submissions will not be accepted.
- Submit, as thoroughly as possible, supporting information (publications, innovations, patents) on the nomination form.
Send completed nomination form(s) and recommendation letters no later than August 1
of each year to:
SME International Awards & Recognition Committee
c/o Executive Offices
PO Box 930
Dearborn, MI 48121
Fax: 313.425.3406 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Complete List of Honor Award Recipients (1955 to present):