Take the Exam Online
No longer do you have to wait for an exam to be in a convenient location. Now, the online exam can be taken from a remote location using any Windows-based or Apple computer (laptop and iPad included) with Internet access. New this fall, SME allows individuals or groups to take the exam anywhere, anytime. Candidates are required to secure an exam proctor, receive approval from SME, and then take the exam from anywhere they choose. Contact Maria Conrado for details or check out our FAQ page.
SME, in cooperation with the Milwaukee School of Engineering and America Makes, has established a team of advisors (PDF) who have strategically defined the additive manufacturing body of knowledge. This body of knowledge will serve as the basis for the Additive Manufacturing Certificate Program, which includes a review course and an exam.
Learn more about the program:
Those with engineering, management or tech degree working in additive manufacturing for years, and having a broad scope of foundational knowledge, will want to take the exam.
There is a high interest in additive manufacturing technologies. Those who can validate their knowledge in the field will be highly regarded and valued. Earn the certificate to:
- Upgrade your knowledge and stay current with industry standards.
- Gain leadership recognition within your company.
- Gain a sense of achievement, to become part of an elite group of individuals.
- Obtain a portable career credential that you can take with you from job to job.
- Validate your experience within the additive manufacturing field.
The review course will include instruction on foundational additive manufacturing principles and will be supported by observation of additive manufacturing applications in action. Course attendees will participate in practice exercises that incorporate concepts and applications from the lecture and lab. The Additive Manufacturing Certificate serves as verifiable proof of your foundational knowledge by successfully completing an exam. The exam is built upon the body of knowledge (PDF)
. While the review course is recommended for exam candidates, it is not required to sit the exam. Future certificate exams will be developed for additive manufacturing users focused on design, manufacturing, enterprise and research/education.
- The certificate has been developed to test foundational knowledge not competency.
- The breadth of knowledge needed is vast, based on the depth of the industry.
- Not all examinee may pass.
- It is required that examinees have both knowledge and expertise with multiple materials, processes and equipment.
- Expectations are that examinees will have knowledge of:
It is strongly advised that all potential examinees take the pretest to determine readiness.
To prepare for the review course and exam, attendees are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the list of Additive Manufacturing Certificate Recommended Reference Materials (PDF)
as more than 50 percent of the exam will map back to these resources. It is up to the individual whether or not they purchase publications listed or reference the websites while studying.
- Additive Manufacturing Certificate Review Course: $249 nonmember
- Additive Manufacturing Certificate Exam: $159 nonmember
- Additive Manufacturing Certificate Review Course AND Exam: $379 nonmember (save $29!)
Registration can be accessed from each location listing. SME members will receive a discount on the registration form. The registration for the Review Course AND Exam closes one week prior to exam date. Due to test processing, SME cannot accept registrations AFTER this date.
- Course will be taught to the exam.
- Supplemental instruction will occur in either in a lab or on the exhibit floor.
- Transportation provided to/from lab, if applicable.
- Familiarity with the Additive Manufacturing Certificate Recommended Reference Materials (PDF) is the responsibility of the attendee, more than 50 percent of the exam will map back to these resources. It is up to the individual whether or not they purchase publications listed or reference the websites while studying.
- Start times vary by location (see individual location listing for times).
- Exam will be administered online and will be proctored.
- Attendees must bring their own laptop (exam will work on Windows, Mac and iPad operating systems; please make sure your device is fully charged prior arrival for the exam).
- Internet access will only be available for taking the exam; all other access will be blocked to preserve exam integrity.
- Individuals who pass the exam will receive their certificate via mail.
Have questions about the Additive Manufacturing Certificate Program? Email Maria Conrado at email@example.com.
SME connects all those who are passionate about making things that improve our world. As a nonprofit organization, SME has served practitioners, companies, educators, government and communities across the manufacturing spectrum for more than 80 years. Through its strategic areas of events, media, membership, training and development, and the SME Education Foundation, SME is uniquely dedicated to the advancement of manufacturing by addressing both knowledge and skills needed for the industry.
The Milwaukee School of Engineering houses the Rapid Prototyping Center, a powerful ally that helps businesses achieve prototype more quickly — often in days what would have taken a month — and take products to market faster. This joint effort of industry, government and MSOE is dedicated to the application of proven technologies to novel challenges.
America Makes is the National Additive Manufacturing Innovation Institute. As the national accelerator for additive manufacturing (AM) and 3D printing (3DP), America Makes is the nation’s leading and collaborative partner in AM and 3DP technology research, discovery, creation and innovation. Structured as a public-private partnership with member organizations from industry, academia, government, nongovernment agencies, and workforce and economic development resources, America Makes is working together to innovate and accelerate AM and 3DP to increase the nation’s global manufacturing competitiveness. Based in Youngstown, Ohio, America Makes is the pilot institute for up to 15 National Network for Manufacturing Innovation institutes and is driven by the National Center for Defense Manufacturing and Machining.